One of our favorite bridal hair trends this wedding season is the half up-half down look. There are many different ways to wear this timeless style, with one of our favorites for our brides being the braided crown. This style provides a soft, effortless, romantic look and is ideal for a spring or end of the summer wedding…because who wants their hair down in 90 degree weather? Not me. A curled, braided halo style is perfectly accented by beachy waves framing the face and can be accessorized with a few gold leaves, some flowers, or even sparkly/shiny clips.
Here is how to get the look:
- Start off by curling all of your hair to add texture. We would recommend using a 1” curling iron if you like tighter curls, or have shorter hair. Use a 1.5″ for extra loose curls.
- Before you separate your sections for braids, pull out any bangs or pieces of hair you may want to leave in front. Use this extra hair to create a soft frame for your face.
- Part your hair down the middle, or just off center, and gather together a large section of hair (about 2″) on one side.
- Braid the section. Start loosely at the top, working backwards in the direction that you want the braid to go (so rather than braiding straight down, you want to braid back, so the braid is at a slight slant). Secure with a clear elastic if you have light hair, or a dark one for dark hair.
- Repeat on other side.
- Take the back section of hair that is not in the braid and tease. It helps to create a bouffant look and adds volume to the crown area. Use a natural bristle brush and smooth out any fly-aways.
- Cross the first braid behind your head so that the braid swoops down to the nape of your neck. It is flattering and creates a more elegant look than crossing it directly across the back of your head. Pin the hair in place with bobby pins, making sure to tuck in the tail. (If your braid is quite long, you can fold the tail in half and tuck it behind the braid.)
- Repeat on the other side.
- Set your look with a setting spray and add any flowers, head dresses, jewels, or, duh, a veil, and your beautiful bridal look is complete!
Have questions about how to modify this hairstyle, or which products would be best for your hair? We will do our best to answer them in the comments!